Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I made it to Ravelry!

I'd been on the list for Ravelry for what seemed like months and months but I don't think was nearly that long. I was lucky and put in my name when I first heard of it. In their words, Ravelry is a knit/crochet website: a place where you can organize your projects, yarns, needles, books and more; a community where you can share ideas and techniques; a place to discover new patterns and projects and yarns and people and more. I haven't had much chance to do more than register and set up a Flickr account so this weekend I'm hoping to get started with some organization. I've joined as Runner Girl Knits; nice to have a usable nom de plume!

I'm busy tonight so I was going to run yesterday after work instead. Did I? That would be a big nope. My legs were still feeling flat from Sunday so I decided to take a day off. Actually, I took a nap and just didn't want to get up. I made up for it by getting up early this morning and doing one of my cross-training tapes. My legs are already feeling it.

When I blow off a workout I tend to feel guilty and I make myself do something constructive around the house to make up for it. I've had a plumbing problem for a while. No, that's not a euphemism for "plumbing problem," it's a self-flushing toilet. I took a look over the weekend and the flapper was worn, causing water to drain out of the tank, causing it to repeatedly flush during the day. It had gotten too frequent for even me to ignore and I had seen a spare flapper somewhere in the garage, so time to fix it. But first I had to locate the darn flapper. It wasn't where I thought I had seen it, wasn't around either part of the tool box, wasn't around the electrical doodads, wasn't in three or four other places I had looked. I turned things over, straightened other places, rearranged others. No flapper. I left the garage, walked around the house, went back and looked in the first place I had thought it would be, and voila! there it was. Gremlins, probably.

I rounded up a trash bag and gloves because I know the worn icky rubber on the old flapper permanently wears off onto fingers and other surfaces, headed into the bathroom and fixed the problem. Yeah, exactly that easy. And exactly that messy. I cleaned up all the messy black drips, flushed a couple of times to make sure it was ok, and left feeling very accomplished indeed.

Then I decided that I needed to do some knitting. Since I had finished the Noro multidirectional diagonal scarf I decided to start the Noro hat that I wanted to go with it. I had already knit one version of the hat that was huge and decided to do this one on smaller needles. Except of course I hadn't made any notes about what size I used in the first place. I wanted to use the KnitPicks circular needles that I had bought and so the size was easy to decide; the pattern recommends size 7 but for some reason I had 6 and 8. So I went with the 6. I cast on and knit about 7 rows last night. Also, I had decided to actually wind the yarn, which I normally don't do with Noro, to make sure there weren't any knots in the way. Uh, yeah, there was one. I cut it out and wound two different balls, I think matching up the colors correctly. And if not, they'll still look fine.

The Gratuitous Bear of the Day was sent to me by my Aunt. She and my uncle were in town a few years ago and came to see my house for the first time. I think they were a little disconcerted by all the bears (even I admit in my saner moments that an adult woman with all those bears is maybe just a little disturbed) but managed to take it in stride. A month or so later I received this adorable bear in the mail from her, with a note that she had seen it and thought of me. How very sweet of her! I made this a sorta marathon bear, but not really. The East Bay Parks District does a Trails Challenge and May Marathon; you run or walk or hike 26.2 miles on certain trails within the District, throughout the month of May, and receive a pin. I did that two years in a row and pinned the pins on the new bear. Her name is on her jacket; this bear is Eddie.

No comments:

Post a Comment