Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Hot Wednesday, again

It's another scorcher today, going up to the 100's. The air is already that lovely shade of tan that comes with the inversion layer in the East Bay. Because of the poor air quality, and the extreme heat, I find it highly unlikely that we'll be running tonight. So I dragged myself out of bed this morning and did a cross training tape. I'm glad I did; as soon as the sun slid over the horizon it warmed up considerably.

One of the nicest things about summer around here is the way it cools down at night. Where I live the winds come through, blowing cool or even cold air. It's our natural air conditioner. Well, the switch is off. Last night at around 11pm I opened my slider and looked outside and the trees were completely still, not the teensiest breeze. It was warm and still and quiet and surprisingly bright, with the full moon. The type of night you expect to hear horror movie soundtracks wafting through the air, the stillness that comes before the chainsaw jumps out at you. Creeeeepy!

I took an exercise night off, not because it was planned that way but more because I got involved in the book I was reading and didn't want to get up. Poor excuse, and another reason I got up early today. I have to keep reminding myself that tapering doesn't mean sloth. No matter how much I'd like to spend the next two weeks on the sofa. Eating jelly bellies and ice cream. Oh yeah, that would really prepare me for the marathon.

I'm almost done with the body of my Temescal Bag. I ran out of black, about 10 stitches and 2 rows short of the stripe I was knitting. The last color is scheduled to be black too so I'll have to substitute, probably the dark gray because I have enough of it. The colors are off in the picture; both grays are darker and the red is less orange. It's going to be great when it felts and the edges soften. I'll definitely finish knitting it this weekend, maybe even get it felted. Now I have to decide how I want to knit the straps.

No comments:

Post a Comment