Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Our excuse for a season

In most places there are four regular seasons: fall, winter, spring and summer. In California we have only have two: rainy season and fire season. The shorter the first season, the longer the second. We're in the middle of a drought right now with statewide precipitation at the lowest for over a century and conditions are ripe for a long, smoky fire season. Because of unexpected lightning storms there are over 800 active fires in the state and more than 100,000 acres burned so far. Much of that smoke drifts over the Bay Area and just hangs there until a front moves through and blows it away.

The air and the sky look like some cheap apocalyptic B movie set with thick reddish air. Right now the trees are still and it's pretty creepy looking outside. All that's missing is the somber, scary music wafting through the background and I'm out of here because I've seen enough of those movies to know that something bad will happen.

Probably though the worst that will happen is that I'll go swimming tonight and cough up a lung or two trying to get in my workout. I didn't run last night and I'm wondering if I'll be able to do anything tonight other than drift lazily along, lap after lap. We're scheduled for a long, higher intensity swim so we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment