Sunday, January 28, 2007

Like a cult, without the kool-ade

Go Team! I'll be saying those words many many many times in the next few months. Saturday was kick-off for Spring 2007 season of the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training at the Parc 55 in San Francisco. It was a full house of excited, apprehensive, thrilled, scared shitless, information overloaded new participants. It's amazing how many alumni there are too - we even have our own shirts now. The speakers were incredible; heart warming stories from the honorees had many of us with tears in our eyes. Of course, I'm a soft touch and when that darn Go the Distance video starts ups the tears spring forth immediately. I mean, c'mon, I've seen that thing about ten times!! Sheesh, I can NOT be teary to a Michael Bolton song! But it's heart breaking and heart warming to see all the very sick kids, the sick adults, and those fighting and searching for a cure. Even for the tenth time.

I was 2 people: myself, which is pretty easy to do, and substitute mentor for a mentor who was out of town. During our breakout session I'm afraid that, while I did go through all the info we were supposed to cover, I did a bit o' babbling. Sorry guys, and yes, I did see about 4 pairs of eyes glazing over. I'm really not much good as a public speaker, even if the audience is only about 6 peeps. I didn't have a chance to get to know the people in my own group (all 4 of us) but I'm sure that fabulous Mentor Marcie will plan a social so we can all bond together. After all, that's a really big part of TnT (well, after the whole fund-raising, training for a marathon thing). I don't know what I would be doing now without the bonding I did in my years there.

I'm really looking forward to this season! Go Team! No Wimps! East Bay Rocks! Team Flame! Send me money!!

No comments:

Post a Comment