Sunday, March 25, 2007

Going out in style

After getting my wonderful news on Friday, the rest of my weekend went much better. I had promised myself that I would absolutely positively get my tax information together and I did, but I had time for fun too.

Saturday was a TnT mentor run at Lake Merritt. Bree was meeting me for one lap around the Lake, then I was going to run another on my own or with another team member if one was going my speed. She met me after having already run one lap. We chatted while the team warmed up and stretched, then took off. Well, my legs were still tired. Not exhausted/weak/achy, just tired. We decided that a 4:1 run:walk would be sufficient. Unfortunately for us and the rest of the team, there was a real race taking place at the Lake at the same time we were running. There isn't much room for someone running a 7 minute mile to pass someone jogging a 13 minute mile. I guess the race director complained up the chain of command and word got back to the team and filtered down to us that we were not allowed to run a second lap. Awww. And here I was, all set to -- oh heck, I wasn't going to run that second lap anyway! I was happy to have a good excuse not to run more.

A few people were going to breakfast so I joined them. As a last indulgent breakfast I had a very tasty egg white omelet with cheese and bacon, the only things that make me actually want to eat eggs. I prefer the taste of just the egg whites so that isn't a problem for me. It came with potatoes that I gobbled down. I won't be having too many omelets for a while, but probably sooner than I'll be having those potatoes!

Saturday night I splurged with a last pometini. Or cosmogranate, whichever you want to call it. It's pomegranate vodka (I used the Pearl Persephone, the best), Grand Marnier and Roses Lime juice. I've talked about these before and probably will again, because I really like them! I had one while I was doing my filing in preparation for tax info gathering. Then I sat and watched the first season of Sports Night, one of my favorite television shows ever. Sure, I could have done more tax work, but I wanted a break. I finished knitting my part of the special secret project - I can't wait to see the finished project when all parts are complete.

I slept in Sunday instead of running San Ramon's new race, either the 5k or the half. In addition, I also didn't run the Mermaid race in Fremont, even though it took place on my favorite trail, Alameda Creek. I also didn't run around my neighborhood or on the treadmill. I felt pretty good not running and I think my legs should be back to normal with the rest.

Sunday night I went to dinner with my good friends Ellen, Curt and Tom. We used to spend lots of time together; we were cycling buddies, traveled together, lots of evenings together. Time got in the way and now we only spend a couple of hours maybe 3 times a year together (and Ellen and I get together a few extra times). We went to Casa Orozco in Dublin, our favorite Mexican restaurant. It's always been very crowded with long waits but they just finished their expansion into a larger space. Curt doesn't drink, and Ellen, Tom and I only split one small pitcher of the house margaritas. They were excellent! I had given myself permission to have anything I wanted, as sort of a last meal. Despite that, I got the chicken tostada because that's what I had been craving. It fulfilled all my expectations and then some. Yum!

I think I'm ready now to start the new healthy eating trend. Oh hell, call it what it really is, the new diet. I'm ready to eat less, eat well, and exercise a lot and often. Let's see how long it lasts this time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment