Sunday, March 29, 2009

Peace and peanut butter

I had the best Saturday ever. Ok, maybe not EVER ever, but for a very long time. I got up early, drank some coffee while I read the newspaper. Then I found a book and sat on the sofa reading until it warmed up outside. Then I went and sat outside reading. When I got too warm and a little worried about too much sun I went back inside, sat on my comfy chair and continued reading. When I finished that first book I read another. When it got late I went to bed. The end.

Normally the only time I sit and read all day is when I'm sick (and then I don't enjoy it because I'm sick). I just don't have the time to do that otherwise, no matter how much I love to read. I can't justify spending the entire day doing, well, nothing. Yes, I know that reading isn't nothing, but in my society just sitting around all day constitutes sloth. Well, for one lovely day I was slothful. A slight nagging guilt hovered over me all day but I ignored it.

Of course nothing that I had to do just went away because I wished it would (I guess the lantern, the first star bright and the wishbone were off their feed). Sunday was chock full of things to do.

I got up early to meet Bree and Anita for a run. We planned on an easy 4 miles, thinking that sooner or later 4 miles will be easy again. It wasn't easy, wasn't pretty, but we got it done. It was a lovely day with a surprising headwind on our return journey. We were all bothered by the pollen in the air. I don't want to complain about it since it was truly lovely outside. The sun was out, it was cool enough for a good run but warm enough not to be cold, the sky was a brilliant clear blue, the air smelled good, the grass (and weeds) were that bright spring green, the tree were in flower and wow, just perfect. We ran, we walked, we talked a lot and it was over too soon. I think one reason I like long runs is that it's an excuse to spend more time blabbing with buddies.

After that it was mom time, doing the usual. I came home and faced lots of laundry, bills, house straightening and for once, my taxes. Yep, finally got them ready to send off. Then I sat down and browsed around trying to decide on a new computer before this once plotzes permanently and irrevocably. I think I know what I'm getting and I'll decide tomorrow after checking with some of the guys at work.

Oh, the peanut butter? Lately there has been no food that has sounded particularly good to me, nothing really tempting. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I haven't eaten anything, it's just that nothing has tasted good. I've eaten the frozen crap dinners that I have, or stuffed some chicken and veggies in a tortilla, or just had popcorn and ice cream (healthy!). I don't eat a lot of peanut butter since the calories and my body aren't happy with each other. But tonight that's what sounded good. I had bought some cherry preserves for when my sis and bro-in-law come to visit since I had to throw out the jar that was in my fridge (it was blue -- blue strawberry jam -- and fuzzy -- ew). I pulled some slightly freezer-burned bread from the freezer, toasted it, spread on some crunchy pb and cherry j and yum, best food in several days. Liked it so much I went back for seconds, which would be worse if the bread hadn't been the tiny end pieces left of the loaf. Tasty, and now I don't need peanut butter again for a long time.

Great. Now I'll have to eat real food.

No comments:

Post a Comment