Wednesday, March 11, 2009

3 ... 2 ... 1 ... Go!

I got the group email from our head coach this morning telling us that now is not the time to try anything new or to make up for any lost training. Good news and bad news. I guess we never feel we're adequately trained for how we want to perform. If I had done every little thing in training, I'd be wishing that I had done it harder, or faster, or more. This way at least my expectations are realistic.

Best case scenario: finish the ride in 9 hours. So totally unlikely that we don't have to think about it.

Probable scenario: finish the century in 10-1/2 to 11 hours. Average 10 mph while on the bike and twiddle my thumbs nervously while my team lingers at the rest stops.

Bad scenario: finish the ride in 13 hours and go to the victory party in my cycling clothes.

Worst case scenario: walk and push the bike the last 15 miles in the dark (remember, it's now daylight savings time and it's light until about 7:45 pm).

You'll notice that nowhere is it even suggested or thought of that I won't finish. If I'm conscious I will finish that ride. I might not be friendly, might not be happy for a 40 mile stretch, might be sore and cranky and tired and nauseous but I will finish the century. Every mile, every inch. I will see gorgeous spring scenery, I will have fun crowd watching, I will have challenging uphills and downhills and easier flat areas. I will be with my teammates who are all there for the same underlying reason: cancer sucks. Every dollar we raised (close to $120,000 for the team) will help that. I'm strong, committed and ready to go.

Is it Saturday yet?

3 comments:

  1. You will do awesome!! You're committed and you've worked hard. I think it will be a great, case scenario!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Amy. I'm so proud of you. Have a great time and GO TEAM!!!

    ReplyDelete