Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Let someone else be the fool

I had this whole, elaborate April Fool's blog entry planned for today. I was going to talk about how I decided to celebrate my 55th year by doing an Ironman. I would have talked about the commitment and training and weight loss and focus and hard work and joy of completion. How I needed to increase my speed on the bike and the run. I planned to announce my schedule of shorter races, my training and diet plans. Then I remembered that I dislike April Fools jokes, or any practical joke. So in the immortal words of Emily Litella, never mind.

I haven't run this week. I haven't gone for a walk this week. I haven't cycled this week. I haven't done any cross training this week. All I've done is simple core work. But Amy, you might ask, aren't you getting back into training, starting to run again, feeling strong? Well, until last week that was true. This week my body decided that it would be a great idea for my back to start shooting pains again. The good part of that was last night I took a muscle relaxant for the first time in many many months and slept for almost 7 hours straight. My back still hurts but otherwise I feel great!

Sleeping is definitely underrated. As a life-long insomniac I hope I'm one of those elderly people who sleep for vast chunks of the day. I'd love to sleep 8 hours at night and then take a 2 hour nap during the day. Or even 9 and 3. When I'm 85 I won't mind if I can sleep away half the day, knowing that most of my life I only slept less than half again of that.

Raise your hand if you need a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment