Monday, October 27, 2008

Starting the week right

After work today Olivia and I went for a short run. It's hard to believe that next week it'll be dark if we run after work. I'm still thinking that it's the middle of the summer (except for a short time at work today when I was convinced it was the end of November -- yeah, I don't know where that came from). I didn't need sunglasses when we ran but at least we didn't need head lamps either.

By slowing down a little bit we had a great run. Our overall average was 12:07, only about 15 seconds slower than we've been running (except when Claudia joined us, then we were much faster). Those few seconds made the difference between my eyeballs almost popping out of my head or just pushing hard. Talking was only possible for me as blurts between breaths but at least I was blurtable. The cooler weather helped too. A thoroughly enjoyable run.

Today I registered not only for the marathon, but for a race that we'll use as a training run. I'm a little nervous that now I'll get injured, now I'll trip or fall or drop something on my foot or do something that will eliminate any chance of running either race. Not that I'm superstitious or anything, it's just been one of those years. I think before I fall asleep each night I'll need to find a new visualization mantra. Something like "stay healthy, stay strong" or "don't hurt yourself, don't trip" or "you're not a klutz, you're graceful" or ... no, even repeating that last one every night couldn't convince me. I think I'll stick with my first try!

No comments:

Post a Comment