Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Merry Christmas to all ...

...except for those who don't celebrate Christmas. And to you, cheers and have another glass of wine. Like I'm doing.

Ok, it's not like I've been sitting at home all day and consuming vast quantities of wine and chocolate (like I've been doing most days this week month). I celebrate Xmas, which is like Christmas without any of that messy religious stuff added in. Y'know, only the gifts, food, family and friends that even Jews like me can get behind. Whoohoo, another reason to sleep in and stuff my face.

For about the past 16 years or so I've spent Xmas day with my friend Ellen and her family (who celebrate the real Christmas). Today was no exception and it's something I just love to do. I get few enough chances to see her so a day spent together is a gift in itself. Throw in some good food, wine and a drive to see the holiday lights and it's a perfect day.

I think I'm having some seasonal affective disorder. I can't find any other reason for why I'm feeling so blue. Almost every winter I feel down but it normally doesn't get bad until January or February. I have no energy, no initiative, no get-up-and-go. I really would love to stay in bed until noon, eat for three or four hours, drink a bottle of wine (or Irish coffee) (or Cosmos) (or ... well, you get the picture) and go back to bed. I don't want to exercise, don't want to run, really don't want to work. Give me a bag of chips and a drink and a good book and I'll be in hog heaven. Literally, if I don't snap out of this soon.

Part of my sluggishness is that I've gained weight from all the sit-around-eat-chips-drink-wine stuff that's going on. It's a cycle; the bigger I get the less I feel like moving. For now I'm letting myself wallow in self-misery and not really doing anything about it. But I've set January 6 as the day I'm going to snap out of it.

Why not the 1st? Well, that's too normal. And on the 1st I'll have a hangover and go for a run and then out to breakfast. And I'll eat what I want. It's the middle of the week and I'm a Monday change-your-life kinda gal. January 6 I'll be back to counting points, running, cross training, less wine, no chips, no chocolate, no whining. Well, maybe a little whining, I can't give up everything at once!

And what better way is there to ease the blues? I'm going shopping for something blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment