Friday, March 2, 2007

That's great, it starts with an earthquake ...

We had a little rock and roll last night and it wasn't R.E.M. I was sitting and knitting and watching Survivor when my couch started rocking. First, I had to decide that it was actually the earth moving and not a heart attack or stroke or something within my own body. Then, I sat there thinking "hmm, I should get up" (pause, pause, pause). "Yeah, I should really get up" (pause, pause, pause). It continued shaking and I though "I guess I'll have to get up." Then I remember the latest report I'd read that said standing in a doorway really doesn't help at all. I decided that my sofa was probably just as safe as anywhere else in the house. Finally, hours later (or maybe it was about 15 seconds later, I don't remember) the shaking stopped. As earthquakes go it was on the medium size, just a 4.2. It was centered about 14 miles from my house. Since then there have been a swarm of aftershocks, 14 to the time I'm writing this.

I wasn't scared, didn't think it was The Big One. There was no real damage anywhere so it was a lucky quake. Some people wonder why we live in earthquake country. Today's news says it all: no damage or death from the quake but in the south 20 people were killed by violent weather. And it isn't even storm season!

We got in our run last night; the rains have cleared for the next several days. It was pretty chilly, but at least we were dry. Pam and I ran our usual short short route and it felt good to be out and running again. Yet ANOTHER stupid car ran the red light as we were crossing San Ramon Valley Blvd. at the trail. It's now a regular thing and at least once a week some damn idiot zooms through the red light at 30 mph and accelerating. Even if they don't see the light, or the other cars slowing, they should see US with our lights, standing there. We've learned not to trust any car coming and we give them right of way, even if we have a green light and walk signal. I am NOT dying for my sport!

Today's GBotD is Youngster. My brother gave him to me when I was a senior in high school. My bro had bought the bear while traveling in Europe. He (the bear, not my brother) is a Steiff, complete with button in the ear. Steiff bears will last forever and are now about as expensive as a new car. Youngster is my second of 3 bears from when I lived in Michigan.

Lot of running scheduled for this weekend: 5 miles on Saturday with the Team and 20 miles on Sunday with my friends. Full reports on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment