Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Rats again, this one cute. Sort of.

After the shower on Saturday I went to my bro's to see my nephew's new rat. My nephew is a typical nine year old boy who loves everything gross and icky, so of course he needed a rat. Just because he already has 3 cats and 2 dogs doesn't mean another animal wouldn't be welcomed into the house. At school the classroom rat parented a swarm of ratlets (ratlings? pups? kits?) and some lucky students were able to adopt one. The new rat isn't full size yet, and should get either one-third bigger (according to my bro) or twice the size (according to my sis-in-law). Ratty (ok, I forget what they named him) is friendly and will submit to hugging and loving. As long as there's food involved. I know people like that too.

When I first arrived at bro's he said that since I'd spent the afternoon bartending at the shower I could certainly continue that and mix up some drinks. After surveying the contents of his freezer, pantry and fridge I concocted a blueberry kiss: vanilla vodka, natural unsweetened blueberry juice, Rose's lime juice and triple sec. Very yummy! And how nice, they were also feeding me dinner. Which I totally needed after the wonderful food and booze and chocolate fountain at Bree's house. Not. Just imagine my shock and horror when bro announced that we were having chicken pot pie from Bakesale Betty's! I knew then that there was no hope for any diet redemption, I should just figure on gaining weight. I'd never had the pot pie but I was (too) familiar with her scones, cookies, sticky date pudding, etc. The pot pie didn't disappoint. There had to be at least a half inch of butter dripped out on the cooking sheet that the pie sat on in the oven. It was beyond a doubt the best pie crust I've ever had. The inside was wonderful too: big chunks of veggies and chicken and a wonderful gravy. I was in glutton heaven and figured I wouldn't need to eat again for a couple of days. And I'd have to run a million miles to work it off.

It wasn't a million miles, but Pam and I had another great run last night. It was the short short route. Hey, I'm tapering! I really love running in perfect weather; upper 60's, sun low enough to not be an issue, light breeze. Too bad the traffic was heavy and cars keep trying to run us over. We could run on the trail only, but that's too boring. I'm hoping that after recovery from this next marathon we'll want to run the longer route occasionally. Maybe!

I've gotten more rows done on the super long wrap. It goes on and on and on. Pretty soon now I'll need to decide just how long I want it. I'm not sure if I just want it long enough to hang straight over the shoulders; to wrap over one shoulder; to double wrap; to double wrap with knee length ends. I have enough of the alpaca to let it be pretty long, but I'm tired of knitting it. I need something bright, colorful, and instantly gratifying. Too bad I told myself to just finish this darn thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment