Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Drive me crazy

What is it with California drivers and bad weather? I realize it doesn't rain here that often, but it happens every winter, even the dry ones like this. I don't think the idiots realize that when it's wet they shouldn't (1) weave in and out of traffic at high speeds, (2) zip right in front of big rigs and slam on their brakes, (3) eat breakfast/put on makeup/hold a phone/shave, (4) tailgate the car in front of them when the front car is already too close to the car in front of it, (5) turn around to discipline a child in the back seat, (6) try to drive 15 mph faster than the rest of the cars around them, or (7) try to drive 15 mph slower than the rest of the cars around them. Sheesh! What's so tough about that?? It took extra long to get to work today and I was privileged to observe all those behaviors. Ok, take a deep breath, think calming thoughts. Hmmph!

So, there's this storm front moving through northern California right now. A week ago it was supposed to hit on Sunday, during the race. Now it's sped up and should be clear by the weekend. That's where the forecasters start guessing. Not that I'm a weather geek or anything -- oh wait, maybe I am -- but I've been checking 3 sources so I'll know what I want to wear for the race. The National Weather Service is saying that on Sunday we'll have an overnight low of 41 and a high of -- get this -- 84 degrees!! Crap! The Weather Channel says an overnight low of 45 and a high of 65! Huh?? Weather Underground is telling us there will be an overnight low of 37, high of 71. Thanks guys, clear as mud. My interpretation as someone who knows squat about forecasting is that by the time of the early bird race start at 8:00 am (that's not early - get a clue organizers) it'll be close to 50, and by the time I drag my sorry ass across the finish line in the middle of the afternoon it'll be toasty warm, if not blazing hot. At least the course should be shaded, right? By all those giant redwoods? What, me anxious?

My run along the Iron Horse last night was more interesting than usual. The only ones to show up for the run were Mentor Marcie, Fiancee Dave and me, so I was running alone. Heh heh. I always run the buddy run alone, this was not different. I just stuck my headphones in my ears and tootled off, determined to get in at least 3 miles although I totally wasn't in the mood. All of a sudden I saw a police car turn off one of the cross streets and onto the trail. Hmm, I thought, what's this? So I kept running until I came upon a pretty funny scene. There were 2 cop cars, a big ol' official looking black SUV, 5 or 6 very unhappy teenagers sitting on the ground and a bench, and one stern looking cop. I didn't see other cops, but I didn't stop running so I didn't really get a good look. When I returned about 10 minutes later, there were 3 (count them -- 3!) more uniformed cops and another in a suit (I think he was a cop, he had that bearing), and one more squad car. The first cop was patting down one of the boys while the others sullenly looked on. The boy being patted down looked like he was going to cry. The one girl in the group was smarting off to the cops; I could hear her even through my music. I wish I knew what was going on, but my guess is either vandalism (there were a couple of smashed ceramic pots along the trail) or drugs. Oooh, are their parents going to be mad!

I was doing some gardening over the weekend and discovered what my mystery plant is. I was right, it's an Iris. It's not that pretty and not terribly colorful (or at least it wasn't, until I color saturated the picture), but is a nice break in all the greenery. There should be four or five more flowers opening off the plant but the rain might just turn them to mush. And they'll probably open over the weekend while I'm gone. If you look closely you'll see another yard bunny behind the plant.

Last night I spent more time knitting the super long (and and now super boring) wrap. Yawn. Maybe I'll finish it this week. Or maybe I'll just fall asleep knitting and poke out my eyes. Either way, I won't be working on it for much longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment