Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The day improved

Up until about 4:30 pm, if you had asked I would have said "worst birthday -- ever" and meant every little bit of that. Overwhelming family drama took a day that started off poorly and sent it rapidly downhill. Misunderstanding, anger, blame and all of it ugly. Too many tears and too much heartache.

But the day was saved by my friends. Somehow I have an incredible circle of friends who actually like me. They are all warm and comforting and sympathetic and nurturing. Also lively, and funny, and sparkling; full of laughter and joy. Some of them are young enough to be my daughters much younger sisters, some my age. There are shared experiences with running, or knitting, or both. Not to mention eating and drinking. And talking. You'd think we had all known each other all of our lives, but most of these friendships are only a few years old. The depth of the love is overwhelming.

Many thanks to Jeanette, Claudia, Raji and her sister-in-law, Olivia, Pam, Anita, Bree, Sandy, Ann, Cynthia for celebrating my middle age with me. Thank you for letting me vent when I needed to and changing the subject when it got to be too much. Thank you for all the good food, all the wine, and for not burning down my house with too many candles on the cake. Thank you for all the great gifts, showing how well you know me. Thank you the most for just being my friends. I love you all.

This was the brightest spot of 2008.

3 comments:

  1. We love you too!! SOOO much fun last night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time Amy and the day turned around :o) I had a great time.

    Wuv You
    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right back at ya! I'm so happy that your day ended with so much joy! Glad I could be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete