Friday, September 28, 2007

Another hat, another yarn show

One day it's hot and sunny, the next it's overcast and cool. Then it rains and then it's sunny again. To most people in the country that would be normal weather but for us in the Bay Area, especially in the valley, it's strange. We go most of the year with the temps in the mid-60's to mid-70's with early overcast clearing to blue skies. Sure, we'll have an odd patch of very hot temps or rain, but normally the weather is just "nice." Over and over and over again. So it's confusing when it goes back and forth between this strange stuff that other areas call "seasons." What an odd phenomenon!

Pam and I had a good run last night. We're getting used to the sun being lower and cars trying to hit us. More than usual. We were about to run across the street, with a green light/walk signal, when a woman in a humongous SUV decided to blow through the light without looking. Clueless, and luckily we saw her and didn't step off the curb until she had passed. That would have been extremely messy if she had hit us. Not to mention it would have screwed up our marathon plans.

I started another Point Lobos Hat last night, even though I wasn't going to until next week so I could take it traveling. I think it's addictive; I'll just take yet another skein with me and start a third one if I finish this. I'm using another Malabrigo (since I have a skein or two of it in my stash), this one in Amor Intenso. It's variegated in pinks/reds/burgundies and the few rows I have are looking good.

Oh please oh please keep me from the CGOA Knit and Crochet Show in Oakland this weekend. I'm so torn; how can I possibly skip a yarn show when it's so close? And how can I possibly go to another show when I've already blown my discretionary yarn funds at Stitches and Stitches? Sunday is the only time I have available so maybe I'll just lock myself in my house and forget it. Yeah, good luck with that.

The Gratuitous Bear of the Day is my medal bear celebrating the Maui Marathon. This race was a challenge because of the extreme heat (in the 90's), the humidity (in the 90's) and the tradewinds (ok, that wasn't quite in the 90's). The race started in the dark, at 5:30 am, and as soon as the sun rose over the horizon it got hot. Very very hot. It was one of the most scenic of my marathons, most of it running along the water. Gorgeous, while you still had the attention span to look at it. Cold sponges and iced water didn't help much as the temps crawled even higher. I was thrilled to be done. This little bear in her board shorts and sun top perfectly exemplified the Maui experience. Breezy reminds me of the rest of my Hawaiian vacation, swimming and snorkeling (and drinking lots of umbrella drinks in the sun).

No comments:

Post a Comment