Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Worn out shoes

It's summer here. That means it's cold, overcast and windy. I think the fog is supposed to burn off later but for now it's chilly. I'm not sure how to dress for this. Ok, that's silly because no matter what the weather is I'm wearing jeans. Probably 95% of the time I'll wear jeans. And I'll probably wear a light weight top with a sweater or jacket because I never know what the temp will be in the office. Since I spend most of the day inside it doesn't make sense to dress for outside, no matter how hot or cold it gets. I guess the difference is whether I wear a sleeveless or short sleeved or long sleeved top, and what kind of shoe or sandal I wear. Since I'm experiencing a short period of ugly toe I don't really want to wear sandals, but my feet get hot before the rest of me. As soon as my toe stops hurting from the marathon-blackened toenail I'll get a pedicure and have showable feet. I always think that someone will look down and get nauseous looking at my ungroomed toes. Yeah, like they really care!

I took my ugly sore toes for a run last night, the usual short short route with Pam. We had a good run, nobody tried to knock us down or run us over. The weather was perfect for an evening run. One of these days we'll increase the length of our run and ... right. We probably won't. It's really nice running for only about 40 minutes (depending on the red lights we encounter) and then going home. We're not exhausted, not sore, just feeling well from the run.

I've mentioned before how I wear through running shoes so quickly. I mean, literally wear out; I go right through the rubber on the heels. There aren't many (any) shoes that I can wear because my feet and/or orthotics just don't fit in many (any) shoes. Either they don't have enough support, are too narrow in the toe, too shallow in the toe, too high at the ankle, too shallow in the heel, fit my foot but make my legs hurt, etc. Or I can't even get my big chunky orthotics into lots of shoes. When I finally find a good pair I'll stockpile several pairs. As all you runners out there know the shoe companies continually "upgrade" their shoe models and you'll be lucky to find the exact shoe for more than a year. I finally found a shoe that works for me and yeah, they upgraded it at the end of last year. I bought out the last 4 pairs from Roadrunner and thought they'd last a while, but I go through a pair about every 100-125 miles. That works out to about 7 pairs of shoes each year. I found a place with close-outs on this particular model and bought another 4 pairs, at half the price they were originally. I've worn each of them for a short run and they're all fine. I'm thinking I may just buy several more, just in case I have a banner year for mileage. That means I could wait at least another year before I have to start trying on new models and brands. I've heard that the shoes will wear out/dry out as they get older, but I've also heard that's an urban myth and they'll be good on the shelf for several years. I'm hoping that's true!

I knit a little on Monica's Stitch 'n' Pitch hat last night. I'm still not sure if I like it. I didn't get too much done because I was concentrating on Heroes too much. I think I'll ask the ladies at Stitch 'n' Bitch what they think. It could still get ripped out and started over with another yarn!

Today's Gratuitous Bear of the Day is another one of the Safeway charm bears. This lovely lavender teddy is Ms. Wealth.

No comments:

Post a Comment