Thursday, May 24, 2007

Of talking and toes and temps

I find myself in the strange position of not having anything interesting to say now. That's never been a problem before, I'd just keep my mouth shut. I'm frequently in the position where others are talking and they're more interested in hearing themselves speak so I just don't say anything except "um hm" "yeah" "really" "ok" "good" and so on. [Except when I've been drinking and I find myself as fascinating as everyone else finds themselves, but that's another story. ] But I can't have a blog where I just wait for someone else to say something because it would be a very empty blog indeed.

I didn't run last night, I wasn't planning to. My big plans were to get my allergy shots and hopefully some good antihistamines (mission successful) and to get a manicure and pedicure. Because of that whole bit-my-nails-until-30 then wore-fake-nails-for-10-years thing I've never really learned how to cut and file my finger nails. I never had to, they just didn't get long enough before breaking, splitting, peeling or getting chewed. Now for the first time in my life they're growing quickly and I just don't like long nails anymore. I tend to hurt myself if they're too long. So they've been growing and growing and I finally decided that I'd get a manicure before Sandy's wedding so that I have pretty girly hands with even groomed nails.

I have a love/hate feeling with pedicures. I love having prettier toes. Notice I said prettier, not pretty. My runner impaired toesies will never be pretty, what with the warped nails on my second toes and all. But I really don't like anyone touching my feet because they're very sensitive. A good pedicure will get rid of callous on the bottom of my feet (and ends of my toes) but that's painful to me. Since my reflexive action is to remove my foot from the manicurist's hand I have to be alert not to kick her in the face. And unless they're particularly gentle with my nailbeds I'll just be wriggling and squirming all over the place. Normally I'll just grit my teeth and clench my fists until she's done but yesterday I was getting a manicure at the same time so I had to concentrate on not slugging or kicking two different women. Neither of them did a great job but it's a big improvement over when I walked in the door. And it was cheap, about $30 including tips. And I didn't injure either of them.

I decided to watch the season finale of Lost last night. I watched it compulsively the first season, regularly the second and sporadically the third. I just find so many of the characters damn annoying. They had promised to tie up a bunch of ends and explain lots of stuff and not so much. Obviously they're not getting off the island until the program is over because otherwise they'd have to change the title to Lost and Found or something and then be about what their lives were like after getting home. Oh. Wait. Yeah, they did that, didn't they. Bye Charlie. Sorry it wasn't Jack who took that last long swim.

While watching I knit more on the everlasting superlong wrap. I'm pretty darn certain I'll have that finished. Someday. While I'm knitting I dream of blocking it, which I've never done before. I think I'll need my hallway since it's going to be so long. Must. Finish. Wrap!

Today's Gratuitous Bear of the Day is Tempy. Several years ago I decided I had to upgrade my old fashioned mercury thermometer with one of those newfangled electric ones that you stick in your ear. I found a package deal, the thermometer with a bear. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other, but free bear! It wasn't until I got sick that I realized it's hard to angle that thing correctly in your own ear and get a correct reading. So I went back to using the shake-and-stick-under-tongue model that had worked so well. At least I got a free bear out of the deal.

Looks like I found something to talk about after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment