Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Empty suitcases

I haven't started packing yet. I haven't even started setting aside running things. I think in the whole 4 months that it's been since my last out-of-state race, I've forgotten that starting early makes the night before a flight much easier. Whoops.

I think it still hasn't sunk in that I'm actually going to be able to run a half marathon in 3 days. And that it just might possibly be a race in the middle of a thunderstorm. What do they do if that happens? They can't just cancel it, can they? But I don't suppose Elite Racing wants the performing bands or the tallest runners to become lightning rods, that's bad for business. I've run once in a t-storm and it's a little freaky. I don't mind getting wet (well, I do, but just go with me here) but I don't need to get fried. I think I'll have to sweat check more clothes than usual because for once I'll be waiting for Sandy, rather than the other way around. Right, I've gotten so fast that I'll have to wait for her. No no no, it's because she's running the full and I'm running (walking? wading through puddles? crawling?) the half. I don't think I'll want to sit around for a couple of hours in dripping wet clothes. Even if I'm sitting that whole time in the beer tent.

I'm thinking I'll probably end up with a brand new PW and I don't care in the least. If I can have a good 6 mile run, or a good 8 mile run, or even a good 10 mile run, I'll be thrilled to just be out there. Running again, doing what I love. I'm going to have to keep reminding myself of that when the weather sucks and my knee hurts. Running again. That's all that matters!

4 comments: