Friday, April 20, 2007

Rationalization

As I've said before ad nauseam, I quit smoking on my 38th birthday. Since then, when I decide to spend money on something I usually just say "well, smoking a pack a day would cost more -- much more!" The cost of cigs has skyrocketed in California because of all the taxes and I think a pack is over $4.50 now. Something like that. As I've also reported, lately I seem to be addicted to lattes. In particular, large non-fat sugar-free vanilla lattes. Umm umm good! In addition to the caffeine boost I get, there's the calcium and the fact that I'm not hungry the rest of the morning when I have one. (There's also the little problem with a slight lactose intolerance, but we won't discuss that.) When I started with these I'd have them about once a week. Then twice. Then every other day. You see it coming, right? Now it's daily. I'm trying really really hard not to have that many, but I've been soooo tired lately. And since I'm trying to cut back on food, the 4 point drink keeps me from eating anything else for the rest of the day.

I was getting them on my way to work at the local Safeway Starbucks. Then they discontinued their "buy 7, get 1 free" promotion and there wasn't a reason to get it from their surly clerks. Except that it really is right on my way to work, easy parking, etc. This morning I decided that today would be a caffeine-free day. I'd go straight to the office and have yogurt and a tangerine for breakfast. I hopped on the freeway and drove 3 miles and then sat in traffic. Without a latte to sip. Getting crankier and sleepier. Finally got to Walnut Creek, totally drove past my exit, went a mile past there and got off at the exit that would take me to a Starbucks. [Note: in Walnut Creek almost any exit will take you to a Starbucks. Or a Peets. Or another coffee shop.] Parked, ran in, got my latte, ahhhhhh. That's more like it. And it cost less than a pack of cigs!

Noah has posted his awesome Ironman Arizona report on his blog. I'm astounded not only that he completed an Ironman, but that this included his very first full marathon! Wow and double wow! Oh, I don't mean that I'm astounded that he completed it, but that he attempted it in the first place. Being a mere mortal multiple marathoner myself (my, how very poetic that was) an extreme athlete like an ultramarathoner or triathlete is just an overwhelming role model to me. I applaud Noah's determination and resolve to do another one (!). And I urge you to hop straight on over to his website and donate money to his Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Man of the Year campaign. He deserves it!

Do you ever get the feeling you've forgotten something? I've had that feeling all week! Hey - if I've forgotten to meet you somewhere, or forgotten to give you something, or forgotten your birthday, let me know, ok?

Our team's coached run for tomorrow was moved from Walnut Creek to Lake Merritt. Yuck. I don't mind running around the Lake once. I'll put up with running it twice. Tomorrow will be at least 3 times. Possibly in the rain. Probably wind. Time to start mentally preparing so that I have a good run. "I will not fall in the Lake. I will not slip on goose poop and fall in the Lake. I will not be body checked by a ranting homeless person and fall in the Lake. I will not be attacked by a flock of Canada geese and fall in the Lake. I will not be tripped by a faster runner and fall in the Lake." What? So I have a phobia about falling into the Lake, wanna make something of it??

Today's Gratuitous Bear of the Day is Pittie. Like Penny from yesterday, I got him on a trip to visit my sis in Pittsburgh, also at Harry & David's. He's a smaller version of Penny, but still soft and squishy. Here's a picture of both of them together, since that's how they're cutest.

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment