Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Easing back to the Team

It's been over 2 years since I was with Team in Training, and I'm slowly working my way back to that mindset. Cheerful: check. Positive: check. Perky: check. Go Team: check. East Bay Rocks: check and double check. Grumpy runner questioning my sanity: leave it at the door this time!

Again this time I'm being a participant with privileges. Monica, our former team manager, is calling me a Mentor, Sorta. That fits. I'll be leading a buddy run, backing up the real mentors and captains, helping with water stops (maybe) and yoyo runs (probably), but I'll be a participant, have my own mentor and raise 100% of the funds.

Saturday was the mentor/captain meeting with Mama Lisa. Last night was the combined East Bay and SF/Marin mentor/captain Leadership Training at the LLS's office. Things are a lot more structured than the last time I was around. I think some of it has to do with litigious former participants, some of it with the fact that the coaches and the program have been around for years and this makes it easier for them. From Mama Lisa we got a booklet of things to do, things not to do, and things to absolutely positively never do! From the Managers we had pizza, training, information, warnings, more information, more pizza!

We're not allowed to give any medical advice or medication. I can see the conversations now:
Mentee: "My hip hurts in this area, what is it?"
Mentor (sorta) Me: [to self: looks like an IT band problem] "Talk with the Coach!"
Mentee: "My shin hurts in exactly this spot, what should I do?"
Mentor (sorta) Me: [to self: looks just like a stress fracture] "Talk with the Coach!"
Mentee: "My legs hurt from my hip to my ankles, what's causing that?"
Mentor (sorta) Me: [to self: your shoes aren't right] "Talk with the Coach!"
Mentee: "My stomach hurts during every run, how do I fix that?"
Mentor (sorta) Me: [to self: stop eating bacon and eggs before the run!] "Talk with the Coach!"
Mentee: "Owie owie. Do you have any aspirin?"
Mentor (sorta) Me: [to self: never leave home without it!] "Sorry, bring your own next time!"
Mentee: "Is there anything you can tell me about anything?"
Mentor (sorta) Me: Go Team!

Yeah, that'll work!

1 comment: