Thursday, June 24, 2010

Powerless

I'm going to try to report on each of my workouts with my new personal trainer at my new gym. This morning I dragged out of bed at 5:30 am, took a quick wake-me-up shower and walked in the gym at 6:00. My trainer, who I'll call "Katie," was there waiting for me with forms and health questions. I filled out the forms and then she weighed me (verdict: heavy). Either she's an excellent actress, or she really thought I weigh at least 20 pounds less than I do.

After finding out that the gym's scale is very similar to mine, Katie took out the calipers and measured my body fat (verdict: lots of it). My guess was that I'd be about 40% BF and I was close, it was 38% (good grief, what would it be like if I didn't run??). Then Kathy pulled out the tape measure to find out my starting dimensions (verdict: none). Just as she was about the wrap the tape around my neck, the lights flickered and died.

The entire gym was silent and dark. And stayed dark. I don't know how extensive the power outage was, if it was just that building or if it was the neighborhood, but the gym was out. All the employees, including Katie, had to scurry around leading people out of the building. Yeah, even those in the dark dark showers.

All I could picture was the power going off and people flying off the back of their treadmills, like a bad comedy. I don't know if there's a fail safe that slows them down, but I bet there was a whole lot of swearing over in the cardio section. And in the pool. And in the pitch black bathrooms.

I went back home and decided that I might as well get to work early. Then I decided the hell with it and got on the treadmill. Three miles later I was tired out and ready for bed again, so I got ready and went to work.

And thus ended my first day of personal training. Hey, not sore at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment