Sunday, August 10, 2008

Not as much downtime as I'd like

My hope for the weekend was that I could spend lots and lots of time doing nothing. Sitting around, staring at a book or the Olympics. Sleeping. Reading the paper. I got more accomplished than I had planned and spent less time on the couch than I'd hoped.

Saturday was a team bike ride along the same ol' route we've been riding. I don't mind, at least there's no chance in the world that I'll get lost. The route is easy-ish with an upgrade and a couple of short hills on the way out, downgrade with a tail wind on the return. Since we were finishing up a "recovery" week (ha haha hahahahah) we were to stick with low intensity. Since I pretty much only HAVE one intensity, that's how I rode.

The weather was perfect; the fog had just burned off, the wind was blowing, the sun was bright and the temp was just about 70. I rode most of the ride alone since somebody decided to ride on her own, but that way I was really able to power the return ride. Yeah, I know I was supposed to take it easy, but in that stretch I couldn't help it. My brand new tire behaved itself and didn't pick up any nails so the ride was a great success.

We were supposed to do a short run after the ride, about 1-1/2 miles. I got to walk it. Yawn. There's nothing wrong with walking. I just find having to walk when I want to run a real trial. I had to keep repeating in my brain "don't run, don't run, don'trundon'trun don'tdon'tdon'tdon't" because my feet just wanted to take off. I walked the whole thing though. I'm not stupid, I know that I need to let my back heal. But I'm getting very concerned since I haven't been able to do any bike/run bricks. My first one might be on September 13th and that will be challenging.

Sunday was scheduled for a 45 minute run so again, I walked. The team was running in Berkeley and since travel time would have been about 1-1/2 hours, I decided to stay home. In fact I decided to stay inside and use the treadmill. I watched some Olympics and some news and some cartoons and got my 45 minutes completed.

I miss running, I miss my running buddies.

2 comments:

  1. I came here through a google for shadow cliff swimmers itch. I'm doing a tri there at the end of September (See Jane Tri) and heard about the crud. Blech. Now I just hope there's enough water for us to swim in.

    Good luck in Pacific Grove!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Run the Golden Gate to Beat Childhood Cancer. I just signed up to be a St. Jude Hero for the upcoming US Half Marathon on November 2, 2008. When you run or walk as a St. Jude Hero in the US Half Marathon, you inspire hope in children fighting cancer and other catastrophic illnesses. By raising money as a St. Jude Hero, you will support the life saving research and treatment conducted daily at St. Jude. All fundraising efforts are heroic, so there is no fundraising minimum required for participating in the program. Plus, when you sign up, you also receive free online training from Active.com and multiple other incentives. visit www.stjudeheroes.org for more information

    ReplyDelete