Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Good news for once

My knee hasn't had any major pain in a while and it seems that the physical therapy, exercises and stretches I've been doing are working. I've sorta been given the go-ahead to start running. Why sorta? I'm starting off with a walk/jog of 7 minutes walking, 3 jogging. I did that 3 times last night and there was no pain. The problem is that the shooting pains only showed up when I'd been running for a few miles so it's not a great test. There's a progression to my training; next time I can do 6 walk/4 jogging, then 5/5, 4/6, etc. until it's all jogging. Then I get to "run"/jog with the same progression. Run, jog; it's pretty much the same to me. So far I'm doing this on the treadmill every other day. If (and this is a big if) there's no pain at all I'll be able to increase to a real run with longer than 30 minutes at a time. Yippee and yay! Just in time for daylight savings!

I'm starting to get my life and house back in order after the family filled weekend. I treadmilled and did my PT exercises last night, despite my exhaustion from getting up at 4:30 am. So I didn't really get much straightened away but at least my exercise room is no longer functioning as a spare bedroom. Nice to get all the equipment back in one room. I also got a great night's sleep which left me feeling like an aware human being again.

I'm cautiously beginning to think of future races again. I miss planning my trips and my marathons and miss traveling and seeing new places. I think that even with the tri in September I'll be able to get in a couple of late fall marathons. The spring and summer seasons are shot for long races though, I'm not in good enough shape to pull off 26.2 by July. Maybe I'll find a local half here and there but I think that this summer I'll be busy enough with tri training. I've seen the schedule from last year and yikes, those triathletes really train for their races!

I'm looking forward to swimming tonight; I think next week the pool will start getting more crowded with daylight savings time enlightened people. The weather is so nice right now that I'd think everyone who swims would want to use the pool. I think we'll just have to get there early enough, like we do now, and claim our lanes.

No comments:

Post a Comment