Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Fuck Cancer!

I haven't been a member of Team in Training since 2009 when I rode the Solvang Century with the cycling team. The year before I raced The Triathlon at Pacific Grove with the tri team. The last marathon team I was part of was in 2007 (the first was in 2001). Since that time I've run numerous full and half marathons on my own, and even became a Marathon Maniac and Half Fanatic. So why did I rejoin the Team now?

We haven't cured cancer. We haven't prevented cancer. Although there are wonderful new treatment tools and many more people live long lives after diagnosis, cancer remains an evil disease that strikes anyone and anywhere, at any time. Rejoining the Team and raising money for research into causes and treatments is my little way of saying "Fuck Cancer!"

On October 14, 2012 I will run the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco with thousands of other women who are raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society through Team in Training. I have pledged to raise at least $2,000 in memory of my dad and all those who didn't live long enough for us to find a cure. I hope you'll help me in this quest and donate generously!


No comments:

Post a Comment