Monday, November 3, 2008

Enough already!

I have had it up to HERE with the hate and the lies and the misinformation and bigotry being spread during this interminable election season. I sincerely can't believe that people are stupid enough to believe things that even the candidates or proposition initiators spreading the disinformation say are false. Do people get their news from their corner diner? Do they only listen to opinion and not fact? Is the only way to win an election these days to distort issues and statements and values and views?

This election is historic for so many reasons, not only because of the race and sex of the presidential teams, but because of the length of the campaigning and the money spent. It appears that there is no longer any middle ground, no longer any central idea or view that cannot be ridiculed as not taking a stand on an idea or ideal. All you hear is that it's one thing or the other and the opposing side is wrong and evil and will either destroy our country or life as we know it.

I make no secret of the fact that I'm a liberal. A feminist. An environmentalist. When did those become dirty words? None of them are four letters, yet the fanatics on an opposing side have made them appear so. Fine then, tar me with that brush because I'm not ashamed to feel that we need to help the needy. We owe it to the world to leave it a little better than we found it. I believe that all people are created equally and everyone deserves a chance to live the American dream.

If I get ONE MORE CALL or ONE MORE EMAIL from someone telling me that marriage is only for a man and a woman who want a family, I'm going to spit. Procreation is not the only reason to get married, and if it were then any woman past menopause or any couple experiencing infertility or anyone who doesn't want children wouldn't be allowed to marry. "Protect Marriage" my ass. A far better way to protect marriage would be to somehow fix the ridiculously high divorce rate. What is sacred about an institution that so many people feel is just a revolving door? Why shouldn't everyone have the exact same right to go through a hateful, expensive divorce? Or two?

Don't get me started on robocalls. I had thought these were illegal in California and couldn't understand why I've been receiving so many. Turns out it's just illegal to place the calls in California. Anyone can set these annoying things up in any other state and dial right in to us. Even my party has the bigwigs recording these things, even politicians who should know better.

And if you STILL haven't made up your mind who or what to vote for, take your head out of the sand, look around, go to the candidates' websites or to the library, read the propositions and make a decision. Good grief, the election is tomorrow. And if you're voting against someone because they aren't the same color as you, or because you don't like their glasses or you've bought into the lies and hate and scandal being spread by the so-called liberal press or the co-called conservative media, think again and make your own decision. It might not be a decision that I would make, might be something that appalls me or scares me, but make your own damn decision, own it, vote it.

Get it over with so we have a few months of peace before it all starts up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment